Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Antiques Show in Camden, Maine













Just finished exhibiting at a local, small antiques show in midcoast Maine. Although it only had 50 dealers, it was a beautiful show with many very high
quality sellers.

The photo above is one corner of my booth. As you can see, I do like country antiques!

I noticed that certain items were selling well. Early American Pressed Glass was selling, as was English Staffordshire china. Native American items w
ere moving - my neighbor dealer sold a large Navajo rug, also a few smaller Indian items.

Surprisingly, furniture was finally moving. For the past six months, it has been difficult to sell furniture, and yet I saw tables, a desk, Hitchcock style chairs, cottage dressers and a lovely pie safe in old paint all head for new homes this week. More than likely there was other furniture that sold as well, but those were the items I personally saw go out the door.

White ironstone was selling. I sold six pieces to a San Antonio, Texas dealer who came to the show late on Sunday afternoon. I also sold a couple more pieces to other customers. In fact, by the end of the show, I only had one
white ironstone item left - a large wash bowl.

Vintage textiles were selling - Victorian white decorative linens were sold, and a beautiful Turkey Red tablecloth from the 1890s found a new home.

Unfortunately, the number of people attending the show was down considerably from the previous year. This show has been running continuously for 25 years, and has always had a strong attendance by both local residents and tourist. Not nearly as many folks made it to the show this time, and it's probably because of higher gas prices and the overall state of the economy.









I'd mentioned in an earlier post about a Detour sign I'd recently found. Here's
a photo of it - it definitely needs to be hung over someone's fridge!!

No comments: